Total Page views

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Alan Davies: an apology

A friend said to me the other day that only positive articles should be posted on the Internet because there’s way too much hate out there already. Boy, was he right.

When I highlighted Alan Davies’ comments about Hillsborough on this blog I didn’t think he’d start getting death threats. Neither did I guess at the level of fury that would be aimed at me. It’s clear there are some people out there who feel like punching my face until it resembles a portion of steak tartare that’s been run over by a bin lorry.

One Twitter user even accused me of being a troll. Given the loathsome behaviour of trolls it’s hard to imagine a worse insult (although the same person compared me to Samantha Brick, so props for going the extra mile).

For what it’s worth, I think it’s utterly reprehensible that some people think it’s okay to make death threats because an individual has said something they disagree with.

That such threats have been made is less a reflection on my article and more a troubling indication that something has gone badly wrong in our society. However, I have to admit that my article -- and its tone -- only served to feed into this rotten part of the national psyche and I should have known better.

I still believe that what Alan Davies said was deeply insensitive but perhaps the claim that I am also guilty of this charge is not as far off the mark as I’d like it to be.

One thing is certain: the Hillsborough Disaster is not something that should be sullied by hateful vitriol or sensationalist journalism.

Perhaps Alan Davies should have kept his mouth shut – but then so should I.

Hate me if you must; forgive me if you can.

Humble apologies,

Mr Bile

18 comments:

  1. If only the tabloids were as grown-up as this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely put everyone has a freedom.of speech and opinion

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like one of the most sensible pieces of writing I have ever read, bravo Mr Bile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apologising in such a frank and honest manner is a sign of great bravery and maturity. Massive props to you - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And yet you accused him of anti-semetism because he called tottenham "vermin" on a humorous Arsenal podcast? You can't have been stupid enough to have not realised that?
    Weasel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well said, in my opinion you were in the right, he was in the wrong and he deserves what he gets :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fair play sir. For what it's worth, I agree with the general sentiment expressed by Davies if not the way he put it across, but there's a time and a place to discuss such things properly, and the internet almost certainly isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. STAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://s7.zetaboards.com/Casuals/topic/8673044/1/#new

    your blog is being roundly slated on here

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've posted 5 times this year, and the only thing worthy of your attention is something Alan Davies said on a podcast. There's a huge difference between having an opinion and then spending your time making sure everyone you reach knows what an awful man he is for having said opinion. That is the very definition of trolling. My advice is to get a life.

    That said, the damage is done. The man is getting death threats from sociopathic LFC supporters because you got your knickers in a wad just because you don't like what the bad man said. Don't act as if you didn't know exactly what your merciless haranguing would lead to. Your apology means less than nothing. Enjoy the notoriety. I hope a man's harassment, injury or death was worth all the lulz. Jesus wept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. stfu ALAN DAVIES is the one to blame here for disrespecting my uncle wo died at hilsborough!

      Delete
  10. redjellydonut you pretentious idiot. Firstly, he's quite clearly not going to be murdered. Secondly, Alan Davies deserved to have his word objected and name tarnished, if not also a little scare. What he said was beyond inappropriate and the blame lies on his head alone. The famous are aware every word out of their mouth can and will be publicized, Alan Davies should not have been shocked at such heavy retaliation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. and scousers shouldnt have murdered 39 souls in belguim sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. & lets all guess who you support....cock head !!

      Delete
  12. bladder..now that is the whole issue. Ill educated comments. Whilst there were some Liverpool 'fans' (I use the word loosley) involved in Heysel. It has also been stated there were a lot of non liverpool hooligans over there cruising for a fight with the Juve Ultras.

    Education of these things is something that needs to be done regardless of football allegiances.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow I didn't even know about this. The news didn't make it to Canada...but had to commend you on one of the most civilised posts I've read in a long time! I wish more people waited until they were calm and collective before they started typing death threats or personal insults.

    Though I don't think you owe an apology for a post in which you pretty much just repeated what Alan Davies said, but good on you. Btw, not having any biases I do agree with Alan's point, but think he could have worded it a bit better.

    ReplyDelete